Mueller urges prison for Papadopoulos

US Special Counsel wants former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos’ (C) jail term to start.George Papadopoulos’ barrage of tweets, including accusing Alexander Downer and the n government of spying on him and seeking to undermine Donald Trump, could ensure he begins his US federal prison sentence next week.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Papadopoulos is scheduled to surrender to the US Bureau of Prisons on Monday to serve a 14-day sentence for lying to the FBI.

The former Trump campaign aide, however, has asked a judge to delay the sentence until separate court proceedings challenging the constitutionality of US Special Counsel Bob Mueller’s appointment is decided.

Mueller on Wednesday hit back at Papadopoulos’ attempts to delay the prison surrender, repeatedly citing Papadopoulos’ use of Twitter after pleading guilty to the FBI lying charge in the US District Court in Washington DC on September 7.

“Following the defendant’s sentencing, he made a variety of public statements that appear to be inconsistent with his stated acceptance of responsibility at sentencing,” Mueller’s legal team wrote in their reply to Papadopoulos’ motion to continue bail.

“For example, on October 25, 2018, the defendant publicly tweeted that his prosecution constituted ‘the biggest case of entrapment!’

“Appearing on a national television show the next day, the defendant stated that he was ‘considering withdrawing his agreement’ because he should not ‘have to serve even one day in jail for something that now it seems was completely orchestrated and I was framed’.”

Papadopoulos claims he was pulled into a plot involving Downer, the n government and UK government to undermine Trump.

Downer has denied Papadopoulos’ claims.

In May 2016, six months before Trump’s presidential election win over Hillary Clinton, Papadopoulos met with then n high commissioner to the UK Downer at a London wine bar.

Downer claims during the drinks session Papadopoulos said “the Russians might use material that they have on Hillary Clinton in the lead-up to the election, which may be damaging”.

Mr Downer, in an interview with The n newspaper earlier this year, said he reported the information to Canberra.

The information about a potential Russian dirt file on Clinton has been credited with launching the FBI investigation that led to the Mueller probe into Russia’s efforts to interfere with the 2016 election.

Papadopoulos admitted at his sentencing he lied to the FBI about his interactions with “a female Russian national” and Joseph Mifsud, a Maltese professor whom Papadopoulos “understood to have significant ties to the Russian government”.

Mueller reminded the judge that Papadopoulos had signed a “favourable” plea agreement and urged him to send the 31-year-old from Chicago off to jail.

“The defendant received what he bargained for, and holding him to it is not a hardship,” Mueller’s legal team wrote.

Read more

University of Newcastle chooses Women in Research Fellowship recipients

Recipients: Standing: Dr Narelle Eather, Dr Melissa Tadros, Dr Kcasey McLoughlin. Sitting: Dr BoBae Choi, Dr Karen Blackmore, Dr Rachel Buchanan, Dr Rachael Unicomb.DR Kcasey McLoughlin feels “excited” and “humbled” to have been chosen as one of seven recipients of the University of Newcastle’s Women In Research Fellowship, saying it complements her owninterest in and commitment to gender equity.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

UON Pro Vice Chancellor, Research and Innovation, Professor Deborah Hodgson said the fellowship was designed to champion diversity and gender equity in the workplace and support the development of women’sacademic careers.

She said women represented 56 per cent of the university sector workforce, but held only 35 per cent of senior academic positions.

“The program empowers recipients to pursue their research goals, manage their career trajectory and exceed in ways that may otherwise not be possible,” Professor Hodgson said.

Fellows have access to mentorship from senior academics; training, placement and travel opportunities; as well as support juggling family and carer responsibilities.

“I was really excited and really humbled by the opportunity,” said Dr McLoughlin, who is a lecturer in Newcastle Law School.

“It’s a real investment in my career.

“It really lifts my spirits that my employer is supportive of women in research and willing to think creatively about how to address some of the barriers or hurdles of womenprogressingat the university.”

Dr McLoughlin’s PhD was conferred in 2016 and received the n Political Studies Association PhD Thesis Prize. It explored the relationship between gender and judging in the High Court of .

“It used to be thought that women spoke in a different judicial voice,” she said.

“My research shows its not as simple as that –people don’t judge based on gender alone.

“Judging is more or less a human activity.

“It’s important to have diversity in voices so it reflects the population.”

Dr McLoughlinsaid she was interested in applying her research in domestic courts in the United Kingdom and USA and international courts.

She said she was also interested in how the law can be used as a tool to achieve gender equity and exploringthe notion that the law is gendered or reflects a particular gender bias.

She said the fellowship will allow her to attend international conferences and providearesearch assistant to help “turbo-chargemy research output for the year”.

Read more

Ariana Grande, Piers Morgan in twitter row

Singer Ariana Grande has slammed UK TV host Piers Morgan in twitter for his recent comments.Pop star Ariana Grande and Piers Morgan have become embroiled in a Twitter spat over the TV presenter’s recent comments.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Morgan, 53, sparked controversy when he criticised a nude image of the girl group Little Mix that was intended to champion body positivity, claiming they had swiped the idea for the shoot from US band Dixie Chicks and were “using sex to sell records”.

He also had a pop at Ellen DeGeneres’s chat show, tweeting: “Ellen drooling today over famous men’s bodies on #InternationalMensDay2018. Yet I’ve been abused all day for complimenting @hollywills on her legs. The hypocrisy of modern feminism laid bare.”

US singer Grande’s mother Joan took aim at Morgan, asking: “Honestly what is wrong with you @piersmorgan? Didn’t your mother ever teach you, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it! You came for @TheEllenShow yesterday which was disgraceful, she is an angel. @LittleMix today, did you ever hear of paying homage? And..well never mind.”

He replied: “Hi Joan, my mother taught me to speak my mind & never be afraid to express honestly held opinion. Ellen’s a hypocrite – and as for Little Mix, I’d just prefer they use their talent to sell records rather than their nudity. As your own daughter does…!”

Grande, 25, then chimed in herself, tweeting: “Ellen is an incredible & kind human being.. I use my talent AND my sexuality all the time because i choose to. women can be sexual AND talented. naked and dignified. it’s OUR choice.

“& we will keep fighting til people understand.

“i say this w all due respect but thank u, next.”

The last line of the tweet made reference to Grande’s latest single titled Thank U, Next.

Morgan snapped back: “Hi Ariana! How lovely to hear from you so soon after your mother. Of course, women can do what they like – but if they/you use nudity to sell records to impressionable young female fans, I’ll continue to call them/you out on it. All due respect, but thank YOU. Next…”

Grande retorted: “Also @piersmorgan, i look forward to the day you realize there are other ways to go about making yourself relevant than to criticise young, beautiful, successful women for everything they do. i think that’ll be a beautiful thing for you and your career or what’s left of it.”

Grande also raised an old image of Morgan advertising Burger King almost naked, asking: “When u do it it’s ok tho right?

Morgan also invited Grande to go on Good Morning Britain to “settle this like mano-to-womano”.

“We can bring our mothers too, if you like,” he added.

Read more

McCullough’s Wolf of Wall St NRL moment

Brisbane’s Andrew McCullough has referenced a Leonardo DiCaprio line from The Wolf of Wall Street.Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough has channelled his inner Jordan Belfort in response to reports NSW rival Damien Cook could be moving in on his turf.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

McCullough is contracted to the Broncos until the end of 2021 but Cook, off contract after next season, has been linked with a move north to join current South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold at Red Hill in 2020.

The Broncos and Queensland hooker was humorously defiant when asked about the situation on Thursday, turning to Hollywood to make his point.

“No it’s definitely not (a worry); I’ve dealt with bigger things in my life than worrying about that,” the 28-year-old said.

“I don’t know where that’s coming from … as Leonardo DiCaprio said in Wolf of Wall Street, ‘I’m not leaving’.”

His quip drew plenty of laughter but McCullough will hope he doesn’t follow a similar fate to former Wall Street broker Belfort.

The man glorified on-screen by DeCaprio in 2013 famously defied orders to walk away from his business but was later jailed for defrauding more than 1500 investors out of more than $US200 million ($A275m).

Cook’s manager Mario Tartak told News Corp this week that four clubs, including Souths, were chasing his client’s signature.

The Broncos are reportedly among the interested parties and if successful would create an awkward situation for McCullough, who debuted at Origin level opposite Cook this year.

Cook’s pace out of dummy half exposed Queensland but McCullough said he wasn’t ruffled by his opposite number’s skill set.

“Everyone’s different, different styles, different teams,” he said.

“Damien’s done tremendously well; he’s had a lot of adversity over his times, didn’t get an easy run to getting a starting spot in the NRL.

“He’s had his ups and downs and clubs not wanting him.”

McCullough is just happy to be fully fit after a knee reconstruction kept him on the sidelines this time last year.

“It’s good to be back out there on day one, running,” McCullough said.

“I’ve dealt with this before.

“It’s a blessing in disguise for me; I’ve turned up in one of the best shapes I have been.”

Read more

Harvest workers ripped off more than $1m

ACTU secretary Sally McManus says wage theft is now a national crisis.More than $1 million in lost wages has been recovered for 2500 workers after a major investigation uncovered widespread problems on fruit and vegetable farms.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Harvest Trail Inquiry completed 836 investigations in the past five years, involving 444 growers and 194 labour hire contractors, with the majority picked at random.

More than half of the investigations found breaches of workplace laws including underpayment and failed record keeping.

But the ombudsman believes the full extent of worker underpayments is significantly higher than the $1,022,698 clawed back for workers who follow fresh fruit, vegetables and wine grapes harvests around .

“Our inquiry highlighted unacceptable practices of underpaying workers in one of ‘s largest rural industries,” Fair Work Ombudsman Sandra Parker said on Thursday.

Growers rely heavily on overseas workers who commonly do not have a good understanding of n work rights and entitlements, the report found.

“Migrant workers may not seek help because of language and cultural barriers, concerns about visa status, or because they are unaware of their workplace rights,” Ms Parker said.

The vast majority were on working holiday visas, with people on that category particularly vulnerable to exploitation.

As well as underpayments, the FWO found examples of other exploitation including substandard accommodation, transport and extra charges.

During the inquiry, the ombudsman took court action against eight employers for serious alleged breaches of the Fair Work Act, with four actions involving labour hire contractors.

Six matters have now been finalised, resulting in over $500,000 in penalties, and two remain before court.

The ombudsman handed out 150 formal cautions, 132 infringement notices, 13 compliance notices and seven enforceable undertakings and commenced eight legal proceedings.

Despite expressing concern about the findings, the vegetable industry is confident actions already undertaken will remove law-breaking operators.

“We categorically condemn the mistreatment of farm workers in any form and this type of behaviour has no place in the horticulture industry,” AUSVEG Chair and Victorian vegetable grower Bill Bulmer said.

n Council of Trade Unions secretary Sally McManus called for laws to be changed to give workers quick and easy access to justice to recover stolen wages.

“How many more inquiries like this one will it take before the Morrison government admits that wage theft is a national crisis?” Ms McManus said.

Read more