Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough has urged the club to make a call on Wayne Bennett sooner rather than later after the coach made a ninja-like return to Red Hill on Thursday.
Bennett is back at the Broncos’ helm but upcoming talks with the NRL club’s bosses could see him at South Sydney as soon as next week.
But he did his best to avoid the cameras, sidestepping awaiting media on arrival and then using decoy vehicles before hiding in the back of a car when leaving Broncos headquarters later in the afternoon.
Senior Broncos players were also welcomed back with a series of fitness tests on Thursday, with Bennett an early arrival after returning from English coaching duties in Europe.
The veteran Broncos mentor will reportedly meet with club chiefs for crunch talks aimed at facilitating his exit and triggering Anthony Seibold’s immediate arrival from South Sydney.
Both coaches signed deals at their rival clubs last month with tenures set to begin in 2020.
But the unusual situation, which has sparked fears over a conflict of interest, has led to speculation an exchange could be struck as early as this week, enabling both men to move on 12 months ahead of schedule.
McCullough said the playing group were operating under the assumption Bennett would remain but admitted he’d like some clarity.
“Yep,” he said bluntly when asked if he wanted a quick resolution.
“Everyone just needs to move forward in the right direction but in the time being Wayne’s here and we’re happy to get on with it.
“It’s out of our control, what happens; there’s plenty of big guys upstairs that can make the tough decisions.
“Yes (we’re prepared to play under Seibold); it’s the nature of the game if it comes to that.”
Bennett, who only returned home on Wednesday, has repeatedly stated he intends seeing out his Broncos contract.
Seibold also says he’ll remain at the Rabbitohs until the end of next season.
However reports suggest Broncos chairman Karl Morris is ready to call Bennett in and thrash out the terms of his early departure, while Bennett has refused to say whether he believes his axing is imminent and where that leaves him.
“I’ll be honouring my contract by going to training,” the 68-year-old, who has won six titles at Brisbane, told the Courier Mail.
“I’m not commenting any further other than to say I’ll be at training.”